Friday 12 August 2016

QUOTES THAT MADE ME UNDERSTAND WHY I AM HERE


Interviewed by Sue Gillet, James Maloney and Sean Williams took the stage for the discussion What I read: Why I write,  for the Text Marks the Spot program today in the Ullumburra theater.

Both authors, I'll be honest, I have never heard of before. And after doing some research into the both of them just to make sure I hadn't just forgotten their names (which often happens), I cemented this fact as I have never read their books either.

However, I am quite sure this isn't a fact any longer, as even though I have never heard of them until today, after listening to them talk about what inspires them, I was left inspired also as well as feeling understood. Many things they said I caught myself nodding and thinking "yes! I totally understand/agree!"

And in hindsight I wonder what that looked like to those sitting behind me, my beanie-clad head furiously nodding in agreement to the wondrous things these writers said.
But regardless of making a fool of myself, I'm so glad I was introduced to the great minds of James and Sean. I'll definitely be looking them up in the library soon. 

Anyway, here are my favourite quotes/perspectives from the lovely James Maloney and Sean Williams, that resonated so deeply with me I had to write them down so I could share them with you.

"If I don't write I don't live ... it's who I am" J.M

"People are natural story tellers. Everyone just does it differently." S.W

"Kids should be able to read whatever they want ... if it's too much for them they'll stop reading." S.W

"I started to tear up at the last two or so pages, not because it was a sad ending, but because I was about to leave the lives of these people. I was losing friends and companionship." J.M

"The two things that lies at the heart of predjudice, is fear and ignorance." S.W

"My greatest joy is having a great idea. That feeling of joy and excitement is what I love most about writing." J.M


2 comments:

  1. I love that last quote about the joy and excitement of having ideas. I know that feeling. He's right. I always come away from a festival like this remembering how important and necessary creative practice is. So glad you took the plunge this year Alannah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last quote about the joy and excitement of having ideas. I know that feeling. He's right. I always come away from a festival like this remembering how important and necessary creative practice is. So glad you took the plunge this year Alannah.

    ReplyDelete